One other way, followed mainly in SAP CRM application, to enhance tables and structures with modification is using Customizing / Customer Include technique.
About Customizing / Customer Includes
- Customizing / Customer Includes are structures which are allocated by SAP to act as a container for customer fields.
- They follow a special naming convention i.e. Customizing includes are prefixed with CI_ .
- SAP includes these non-existing structures in its original tables to be enhanced using keyword .INCLUDE . The special naming convention followed for Customizing Includes (CI_*) enable SAP NetWeaver to suppress activation errors in spite of missing included structure .
- Customer later during performing table enhancement creates Customizing Includes using special transactions and adds his fields to it.
- The fields in customizing includes need to be in customer namespace (YY* / ZZ*) in order to avoid conflicts with future fields added by SAP to the same table/structure.
- Same customizing include could be reused for multiple tables.
Please give your valuable suggestions/ comments to improve this post and make it perfect.